Referring to Dick’s reading, for all of the introduction shots of the characters, I tried to pick footage that was shot using close-up or medium shot (shoulders and above), it would show just the character, shoulder up. Combining shots to form a sequence was the most time consuming part of the project. Finding the right footage, smile, laugh or giddy gesture took up a big ¾ of the work.
In Sobchack’s reading, genre films operation films are made in imitation not of life but of other films. I didn’t per say have a specific inspiration, besides the fact that my roommate and I have been watching Friends for about a month now, every episode of every season. My title, Everybody Loves Merlin, is based on Everybody Loves Raymond, but however, I haven’t seen the original show, and I don’t really have a strong desire to ever.
Some of the frustrations and difficulties were the choice of music, selecting the right clips of the TV show and how to put text on the screen. I asked James to help me with the text and then it was very easy to use. It wasn’t difficult as it was time consuming to find all the footage from two seasons worth of Merlin. On Wednesday night I just spent about six and a half hours picking out the footage and piecing it together. I actually really enjoyed doing this part of the project; I liked watching it all come together. And with the music, I just picked something that I was very familiar with. Midnight City by M83 doesn’t exactly fit with the genre switch, but there were certain key changes or crescendos in the music that went perfectly with the different gestures that the characters made in the different clips. I decided to leave the lyrics out of the song, and just use the orchestration, but after submitting it already, I’m regretting that just a little bit. I didn’t test out the song with the vocals, because I thought it might have been distracting, because I really liked the instrumentals used in the song; I thought they sufficed enough. I would, of course recommend starting the project very early, because you might want to change your mind, and then you will have enough time to do it. Also, it’s just a very time-consuming project. I spent about a total of 15-16 hours in the lab working on it, so definitely give yourself enough time. And I would say to pick something original, switch your TV show or movie if someone else in the class is doing it already, or if it’s already been done on YouTube.
When editing the video, I tried to narrow it down to 8 seconds per main character introduction, so I had to cut a little bit from some of the clips, or add another quick clip in order to get to that 8 second time. For the most part, I think I did a credible job finding a variety of footage of each of the characters. They were in different outfits and had different expressions. For example, with my character Gaius played by Richard Wilson, I tried to find all the funny, weird expressions on his face and then compile those clips together to make his character seem like the comedic relief/weird old man. I also decided to include an introduction for three of the magical creatures in the series (besides the Dragon). I thought it would kind of be funny to do that, so hopefully it is received well by the audience! It was late at night when I decided to add their introductions, which led to some random decisions.